Saturday, July 23, 2016

The Journey To Scratch: What Is It And Why Do I Want To Do It!

Screenshot_20160515-155015

Welcome to my Journey To Scratch series. No, this isn't an itchy thing, it's all about lowering my handicap to a scratch level without spending more than $500 to do it. From purchasing used clubs and clearance bags, to losing weight and becoming healthier, my goal is to start golf season next year as a scratch golfer. I've already dropped my handicap from 13.1 to 3.2 this season, but I need to get over a few mental and physical hurdles before I can get those last few strokes taken off my scores. This "quest" idea was inspired by two excellent PGA golfers from Europe and their "Quest for The Open" series that they are undertaking once again for 2017. So, thank you Peter Finch and Rick Shiels  for the inspiration on this, I know I will drop to a zero if I work hard and get my game, and myself into shape.

image

Image: TheGrint.com Handicap Index Page

Let's start with the numbers: After almost 10 years away from the game, I have had particularly strong rounds at The Golf Club at Echo Falls (+1 71) and at Gearhart Golf Links (+2 74) as well as an (+8 80) at Riverbend from the black tees, to bring my handicap down to 3.2. In order to bring this down to zero, I will need to post about 5 rounds at the following scores - 70 from the blue tees at Riverbend (72 from the blacks), a 69 from the blues at Echo Falls and 72 from the blue tees at Snohomish.I'm not far off from accomplishing this, but I really need to bare down and eliminate the stupid shots that lead to a wasted stroke or two a few times a round. I also need to dial in the gear that I have to be deadly accurate from the 100 yards and in positions. Currently, I'm missing the target far too often from 100 yards and in.

20160708_163625

Dialing in the gear: With the exception of the last round I had, my "new-to-me" Wilson M3 driver has been spectacular. I had been hitting about 80% of my fairways and been very accurate off the tee. My 1 iron has been just as deadly and consistent, but the 240-250 yard distance just isn't long enough to cash in on a great score from the back tees. Playing the shorter blues and whites would give me more opportunities to play it safe with the 1 or 3 irons off the tee. Other than that, club distances have become more and more solid in the few rounds I have played with the FG-49 irons. From inside 100 yards though, my wedges definitely need some work. My target golf isn't playing out to target very well yet. More work with the 58 degree wedge and my sand wedge should help this area quite a bit. That leads to my putting, which may just be the last expense I have on my journey. I need to find a putter that I feel comfortable looking down on that I can line up straight. My Odyssey Tri-Hot #3 is still the one that I do the best with, but the short aiming line on it just doesn't seem to do what it used to for me. The 8813 that is currently in my bag seems to roll a bit better, but is even more difficult to get started on the correct line. Either way, something will be done in the way of a putter move over the next few months.

20160403_111236

Getting in shape: As you can see from my videos and photos, I'm not the smallest kid on the course any more. In order for me to compete at a higher level, I will need to get into better shape. In 2006, when I was playing my best golf ever, I had lost 100 pounds (from basically where I am now) and had a much higher energy level. My goal this time is to mimic that loss, though maybe get down 30-50 pounds as quickly as possible, then move the rest in a slower fashion. I'd like to see myself be around 210 when the season starts next year. This means committing time to riding the stationary bike, more walking and healthier eating.

Screenshot_20160610-221012

Practice makes perfect: The final step is going to be creating a full blow practice schedule. Now many of my posts over the last few months have highlighted how easy it is to practice at home, and this is exactly where most of my practice sessions will have to take place. Being on a budget with range balls costing $10-15 a pop at the local driving range, there just isn't the possibility of working the swing daily - nor would I want to with dance classes and school coming up for the kiddo. What I will be doing is getting 15-30 minutes of half and full swing practice in outside each day. I will also work putting for 15 minutes indoors as well. This should get my body in shape to play a solid round and hopefully sharpen up my swing and putting.

This isn’t going to be an easy journey, as there was never a point in the past that I was a zero handicapper. I was close in high school, and even closer in my late 20’s, but I never did reach that perfect number. As I shoot a few more rounds in the sub-80 category, this will seem like a much more possible feat for me, but until then, practice starts Monday! Make sure to follow the Back In The Fairway YouTube Channel, Twitter feed and Facebook page for all the latest and greatest information on my journey. In fact, if you are looking to take some strokes off your game, why don’t you join me and pick a number as a goal for the start of your next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment