Monday, March 2, 2020

Golf Fitness: The Journey To 100 Continues



For those that are new to the channel, The Journey To 100 is really where all of this "resurgence" into the game of golf began. In 2015, I was in very poor condition, although for a guy carrying around 350 pounds of weight, some might have said I was doing pretty well. What I found as I tried to get serious about my playing again was that my body just didn't turn the way it did when I was lighter, so I started making changes to my swing to compensate. Things like a lagging downswing followed by a last second wrist unhinging was generating the power I needed to play, but was ultimately leading to some very inconsistent scores.

As my aspirations to return to competitive golf started to come together, I realized that inconsistent scoring wasn't going to get me where I wanted to be and I needed to change myself to get where I needed to go. So, the first Journey To 100 began. Topping the scales at 349.8 pounds, I dramatically lost about 40 pounds in February of 2018. Unfortunately, my progress was stifled in April as I had to have surgery which put me on the shelf for a short time. As the summer came to a close, my wife and I began the Ketogenic Diet, which is where The Journey To 100 - The Reboot began.

With a new found effort beginning to take over, I started this crazy way of eating (do not call Keto a diet, because it's retraining yourself and your body to eat differently, not cut calories) and the results were amazing. Immediately after the first week or so, the weight began to peel off and I started to understand how burning fats instead of carbs would change how I lost weight. As I approached a year, I was down 75 pounds and feeling much better, but then another development stymied my progress yet again.

In April of 2019, I changed my golfing goals and in turn, really messed with the plan that was working so well for losing weight. As I accepted the Assistant Professional Position at Snohomish Golf Course, the long hours and crazy schedules began to wear me down and throw me out of the normal patterns that were working so well up until that point. After almost a year of "coasting" I am up 15 pounds and not keeping my macros where they should be to keep myself in a full Keto mode. This video is the start of getting back into that mode and getting things going again. To make this very long story short, welcome back to The Journey To 100 and my efforts to get myself in better shape to play more golf and play it better.

The Journey To 100 Continues: Week 1

Starting Weight: 261.0
Current Weight: 261.0
Goal Weight: 215.0

Left To Go: 46 pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment