Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Blog Babble: Anyone Else Sick Of Apparel Sales?

image

Have to admit that I don’t spend much money at golf stores on golf apparel. In fact, I’ve become a big fan of the Walter Hagen line of shirts at Wal-Mart (about $15 each) due to the fact that they breathe well, are solidly built and have a great lite weight feel to them. This is the reason why I had to post the fact that I am so sick of getting apparel ads from the online golf stores. Seriously, send me ball ads or tees, or some other consumable that I will need to replenish before the end of the year (or maybe those handy rangefinders that need to find their way under the tree for Christmas?) instead of end of summer deals on summer clothes.

image

I know they need to move their inventory before the weather changes, but this stuff was already on clearance at my local retailers months ago. Taking 30% off now isn’t likely to make me buy something today. In my opinion, the best way to convert online traffic is to make the ad nutty clickable – like the Bridgestone pull from the same ad that featured the apparel above. Balls, priced so low, we can’t tell you here… Now that is an ad that I would click on, but I didn’t make it past the 30% off shirts I don’t need, so I didn’t.

For e-tailers, capturing the customer is essential for them to stay in business. For golfers, we try to keep the junk mail in our inboxes to a minimum. If we see too much of the stuff that we don’t need leading the ads, we probably will just start deleting them for a while before we unsubscribe to them. It’s a sad fact, but it’s true. We only have so much time to scan for deals, and if they keep sending us stuff that we won’t use, or buy, why would we waste our time reading it. So, e-tailers, please, take note: send consumables and cool stuff, not another 25-50% off shirts coupon, OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment