Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Journey To Scratch: My Round Goals For Next Time

IMAG0095

 

I was able to get a really good look at some stats on Sunday that were scary. They were so bad in fact, that I redefined my goals for my next round in an effort to get more statistically balanced. First off, we had a horrible 6 out of 14 fairways hit. This translates to just under 43% of them. I’m not going to get the job done if I am hitting from the next fairway over or from out of the trees on 8-10 holes a round. That has got to sharpen up. That led to my Greens in Regulation. I managed to pull off 9/18 for a slightly better 50% on that one, but still far from the number that I need to get down to a 70. I will also say that I used a different ball for the majority of this round that felt absolutely amazing off the clubface, or at least the wedges and irons. While I had a few missteps with my wedges during the round, the majority of them stopped on a dime and held the soft greens very well. I’ll be back on the Wilson Zips very soon though, so I’ll see how things go when I am back to my normal balls then. For now, here’s the breakdown of my 79 at Riverbend on August 7th.

 

IMAG0104

 

Moving on, I had 33 putts, which wasn’t bad for the conditions. I left a few putts just inches from the hole, so I think that should round out nicely with just a bit more practice. That did make me look at my chipping and pitching again though. I had 9 greens I missed, two of which were in bunkers (one good bunker shot and one not so good – for the record…) which meant I should have had 8 good pitches and 8 one putts. Instead, I had 6 decent pitches and not much more. If I had been able to convert all of those to one putts (I did have 4, but only 2 of them were off chips) I would feel better about my chipping, but honestly, I’m not sure I feel great about a 33% conversion rate on them.

 

IMAG0098

 

Finally, there was the wasted shot syndrome. I had 4 this round that I wish I had back. The first was a horrible putt on the second hole. I punched my first putt about 12 feet past the hole and just missed the come back shot for par. I should have left my first putt in a much stronger position to make the second, but it just went too far past the hole. It was the only bad stroke I put on the ball all day long. The next one was the sand shot on 3 from the greenside bunker. The lack of sand and the wetness of what was in there created an terrible hitting situation. Instead of ‘clumping’ it out, I tried to pick it clean and hit it across the green into the water. That was a waste of two shots, but only one mistake. Then I had a wedge on 9 that I managed to pass directly under, which created a 15 yard flop shot from 100 yards out. To finish out my foursome of bad shots, I duplicated the same wedge shot on the 11th hole from the right side rough. My 58 degree wedge passed directly under the ball and popped it straight up in the air. Again, the 15 yards didn’t help my case on that hole either.

 

This round scored me a 28 out of 70 on my scoring system. The break down was: Driving 6/14, Approach 1/5, Wedges 9/13, Chips 5/9 and Putts 33. For my playing score, that rated me Driving 3, Approach 2, Wedges 7, Chipping 6, Putting 6 for a total of 24 out of 50. My mental game wasn’t where it should be as I let the weather and outside conditions (as well as my poor driving) affect me too much. I rated myself a 3/10 on that and my fitness level is still in sad shape at 1/10. That brings me to a solid 28 our of 70 total.

No comments:

Post a Comment