Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The Journey To Scratch: My New Flat Stick–The Wilson Infinite Grant Park

20160801_062054

As I updated my “What’s in my bag” section for August, I realized I should probably put this down in a separate post as well. On Sunday, I took some time and hit about 50 different putters trying to find one that was easier to align than the Wilson 8813 that I was carrying. I had picked out a few models online, but I really did want to hit them before ordering one. So, after a few stores, I decided on the Grant Park model of the Wilson Infinite line. It has multiple alignment lines, sits completely flat and features a list price of under $100. Not a bad deal if you ask me, and frankly, the 2-5 strokes around that better putting may bring me is all I need to hit that magic number.

20160801_062139

The milled faces of the Infinite line really give the putter a bit more grip than what I have played in the past. Going back in the day, flat faces with no markings were the way to go. Obviously, since then, things have changed since there were even some grooved putters on the shelves today. What I was looking for out of the face was something that offered the feel of the 8813 and the consistency of the Odyssey Tri-Hot that I had played previously. I just needed something with a bit more of an aiming system than the Tri-Hot had. The Grant Park fit the bill nicely, even though it wasn’t one of the three I had gone in with the intention of purchasing.

20160801_062106

The high contrast alignment lines on the Infinite styles are vey easy on the eyes and make lining up putts very simple. The semi-mallet design disperses the heavier weighted head in such a way that it feels much lighter than it really is. The design also gives you a much longer sight line without adding too much bulk to the club.

20160801_062214

Wilson also included an oversize grip to act as a counterweight to the heavier head design of the Infinite putters. This is the first time I’ve carried an oversized putter grip, and honestly, I don’t think I will ever go back to a standard one. The putter feels light and natural, even with the 360 gram head down below. The Grant Park fit my needs perfectly and the counterbalanced grip is one of those little parts that really made it feel comfortable in my hands.

Overall, I couldn’t be happier with my purchase. For $99, you can find a model that will fit your game pretty easily. From traditional Ping style blades to center shafted semi-mallets, there seems to be something for just about everyone in the Infinite lineup. If you are in the market for a new putter, I would highly recommend adding this guy or one of it’s cousins to your list to try out. Like I said above, the 2-5 strokes better than I can putt is all I need to start moving down to scratch. That same 2-5 strokes may be what finally causes you to break 90 or even 80 for the first time.
Paying For This Blog With Links

No comments:

Post a Comment