Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Equipment Review: Is The Snell My Tour Ball Really A Tour Ball?

20160914_070847

When I first learned of Snell golf, I was intrigued to say the least. Any company with the heritage of Snell’s, is obviously going to make a quality product. The question that comes along anytime that a golf company uses the word “Tour” in their product name, is if it really is something that a tour player would use? First, take a quick look at who Snell Golf is, and that question should be answered. Then, take a look at what that person has accomplished, and the answer to that question is a resounding, yep. So, without needing to question the pedigree of the Snell My Tour Ball or MTB, let’s take a look at the performance of the ball.

20160914_070912

Starting out, the Snell MTB is a three piece ball that is designed to give you top performance from tee to green. The low compression core give the ball a softer feel while providing a lower spin rate for longer drives. The “outer” inner layer, also called the mantle, works with longer shots on controlling the spin rate for better accuracy. It teams with a thermoset cast urethane cover to react with more spin on wedges and greater control around the green. Overall, the Snell MTB seems like it is making a run straight at the big boys of the industry, but it’s doing so from a $31.99 a dozen price point. That’s about 35% lower than the tour caliber balls from those “more well known” manufacturers.

20161104_112608

Fortunately, reading about it on the internet is one thing, but getting the Snell MTB on the course is another. Being someone that is a fan of huge distance, higher spin into the green and that squishy feel when putting, I couldn’t wait for my dozen to arrive to take for a spin. Finally, after a few days wait, my balls arrived and I was off for a round with them. I played them side by side for a few holes with my standard Wilson Zip ball, and I can honestly tell you that the Snell MTB was a good 5 yards longer than the Zip. I was also getting a bit more spin on them, but nothing noticeable when compared to the lower cost ball off my wedges. Putting, however, was where the difference really came out. The Zip has an ionomer blend cover that has way more ‘click’ to it off the putter face than the Snell MTB did. The Snell MTB reminded me of hitting my older balata balls off the old brass Bullseye putters. It just felt right.

Scarier than the nostalgic feeling that putting delivered was the consistency in putts. There were no hot spot putts like I had experienced with the Zips, nor were there any soft spots either. I spent about 2 minutes putting with it on the first green before I had my distances dialed in and was ready to fly around the course. The 15 putts on the front side (including two that lipped out that should have dropped) was my best putting performance for quite some time. I blame this ball for that. It’s easy to say that the Snell MTB is definitely one of those balls that you should consider trying if you are in the market for a new ball for 2017.

Of course, there are some drawbacks to using the Snell MTB. First, there’s the availability thing… Snell sells direct, which means going online is one of the only ways to get these guys in your bag is to order them online. Amazon has the Snell MTB for $31.99 + $6.99 shipping. If you order direct from Snell Golf, you can get them for the same $31.99 but shipping is free. They also have a value pack with 6 dozen for $157.99 – or $26.33 per dozen. The 6 pack is a great way to go if you are looking to stock up on them, but you might want to order a single dozen to start out with just to see how they work for your game. I was pleasantly surprised by the Snell MTB, and I think you will be as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment