Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The Journey To Scratch: It’s Time To Get In Shape

20161104_113857

Wow, what a year it has been. From getting back into golf to spend some time with my dad to overhauling my game and shaving 12 points from my handicap, it’s been a crazy journey. Now, with my game almost back to where it needs to be, it’s time to make myself over to where I can play more golf, more consistently. To put things in a nutshell, I’m not your prototypical golfer by any means, nor is the amount of weight that I lug around the course with me. That is all about to change though as I start my winter efforts at dropping a good chunk of the extra padding before the spring golf season rolls around. With some dates already penned in for next year, I only have so long to get this done before real tournaments start, and I’m hoping to have you all along for the ride.

Right now, I figure I need to drop 60 pounds to feel good on the course and I have room for even more as I get down to my first goal weight. Once I’m there, I believe I will be at a point where my flexibility will be back far enough that I can challenge some of the 7500 yard courses that host the major amateur tournaments. It’s going to be a big part of my journey, and a necessary one if I want to play golf long into my ‘retirement’ age. Without making some of these moves now, the knees will start to go faster, flexibility will disappear completely and who knows if I will even ‘feel’ like playing later on. I’ve done this type of thing before, and this probably won’t be my last time doing it, but for now, the simple plan of eating more good foods than bad and getting out and about should get me there.

So follow along with my new “quest” that runs along side my Journey To Scratch, in my Drop 60 posts. I’ll try and post them each Wednesday just to keep additional content flowing daily. This will put me publishing Equipment Deals on Monday, Stroke Savers on Tuesday, Drop 60 on Wednesday and Budget Beaters on Fridays. I’ll also post my Playing A Rounds and Blog Babbles as I get something to post on those! Thanks for reading and don’t forget to root me on to the PNGA Mid-Amateur next fall and maybe the USGA Mid-Am next summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment